The Wiki for English Graduate Students at SMU (WegsSMU) is an experimental online digital humanities resource for current and prospective english graduate students of SMU.
WegsSMU was created in the spring of 2009 as an online digital resource for graduate students. The idea arose after a Gilbert Lecture delivered by Alan Liu. Since its creation on April 17, it has grown to contain no fewer than 43 articles.
The purpose of WegsSMU is threefold:
- To provide an archive of resources for the use of graduate students both in their pedagogy and practice of English literature.
- To provide current and prospective graduate students with a resource by which they might familiarize themselves English graduate student life at the University.
- To provide a practice ground in which graduate students can gain experience and fluency in digital culture, throughout all stages of its development.
WegsSmu is an experiment in digital culture and digital archiving. At this time, WegsSMU has three goals:
- To become a viable web resource containing over 200 student-created and -maintained articles and entries.
- To become recognized by the faculty and staff of SMU as such and to be hosted on SMU's server.
- To host syllabi, handouts, presentations, class notes and other media which relate to the pedagogy and practice of English literature at SMU.